Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

This was my first attempt.Seeing the previous years trend focused heavily on static portion ..suffered on the current affairs part this year,also seen that current affairs asked mostly are not actually current but contemporary.How to prepare current affairs in a holistic way? If toppers could share their insights and ideas it would be helpful for the community🙏🏻
33.9k views
Deleted

+1 

5k views

Imomfsaid

@Pam123 @CSLWARRIOR @sjerngal  please enlighten on how to cover current affairs for mains especially if we didn't cover magazines for current affairs for pre.....how to cover mains specific current affairs within 3 months??

+1

5k views

Hi guys,

Messed up pre big time, scoring only 80, selection unlikely. Missed some straight forward questions due to lack of revision and some brainfade during the exam. I have a few questions:

Q 1) My mains portions are not at all covered and neither do I have notes made for them. So I have decided to enroll in a mains test series (offline), wrap up these mains specific portions by December and optional with notes along with some answer writing. Commit to full fledged pre prep after that. Is this a good way to go about it?

Q 2) I am struggling with current affairs in general. Saw most of you guys have gone with monthly magazines, but I find doing that less rewarding. The current affairs bits that stick with me organically are those that I did on a daily basis, but haven't found a daily source that is as good as Vision when it comes to presenting/ wording stuff, can you guys suggest a daily source (except insights)?

Q 3) Did you guys make notes of Laxmikanth, spectrum etc? I find revising from the texts itself difficult in the last few weeks of the exam, any tips on that front? Is it advisable to make notes of such texts?

Q 4) How did you make use of mains PYQs? Did you write answers for them, what did you compare against?

Q 5) How did you make incremental improvements on the answer writing front? While comparing topper copies, did you answer the same questions in their copies and check what you could have done differently?

Thanks for your time in advance!

Same here mate...borderline in pre...not made notes on max mains topics..can't find a route on how to start..planning to join MGP if prelims dont go as expected.

5.4k views
Are yearlong test series (Vision,MGP,Insights ylm) really beneficial or should we  instead practice with TLP amd insights secure questions on a daily basis?Also which yearlong test series do you suggest for both quality improvement and subsequent value additions to topics.
4.7k views
Are yearlong test series (Vision,MGP,Insights ylm) really beneficial or should we  instead practice with TLP amd insights secure questions on a daily basis?Also which yearlong test series do you suggest for both quality improvement and subsequent value additions to topics.

I would personally recommend yearlong test series over daily answer writing because of the following reasons:

• Helps you consolidate notes for static portion and keeps you on ur toes especially when you know that the exam is next year and you might waste some time doing nothing
  • Will help you get acquainted with your strengths and weaknesses with respect to answer writing 
  • Model answers will help u add value addition
  • I am personally not a very big fan of daily answer writing that are peer reviewed and not really checked by a mentor, because I think it adds not much value to your answers. Plus I think there should be enough space and time for u to improve and work on the feedback received. 
    In this sense weekly tests fare better ..

Thankyou so much ma'am..

4.3k views

Can I afford to skip Mains 365 in case I join Forum Current Affairs classes?? Seniors, please help

I found it very difficult to internalize the current affairs provided by Mains 365 last year.

+1

4.2k views
Dear seniors how to utilise value added material for mains..i feel like there is so much of information overloas in those hundreds of pages..how to segregrate the info mains topic wise ? Also if i had made static 4-5page notes on subtopics of mains syllabus and if i update them with current topics/report suggestions do i still need to utilise vam's or referring to dipin sir/mains 365 would be enough? Your guidance will help me a lot .Thankyou
4.6k views
Write your comment…