Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

Hi, everyone! Starting this thread, so we can all seek specific guidance from, clarify our doubts from friends who successfully cleared CSE 2021. Please feel free to ask any and all questions, however trivial, so we can collectively benefit.

It's opportune time for this, as with Pre 2022 ending in a few hours, friends giving Pre this year can also benefit from their Post-Pre Preparation Experience.

Tagging 

@sjerngal  @Pam123 @AzadHindFauz @TheFinalStand @CSLWARRIOR @Arsene @Bubba_gump @Apollo11 @impatientoptimist  @whatif1997, and requesting them to enlighten us plebs on tricks & trickeries of preparation.

Edit: Adding@Newton981 (AIR 107)

curious_kid,DMand25 otherslike this
133.4k views

248 comments

1. What is currency hedging?

2. "If India accepts IEA's full time membership, she has toraise strategic oil reserves to 90 days requirement." Please explain what it (the underlined phrase) means.

3. "Poll panelhas also been seeking modification to form 24A to mandate disclosure of donations above Rs. 2000, instead of Rs. 20000." Please explain (underlined phrase).

4. An example:

BJD party secures a large chunk of vote share in Odisha and wins 12/21 LS seats in the last election. Can it be called a national recognized party?

[It secures >6% vote-share if I include smaller states (like Manipur,, Goa, Sikkim) to make up the condition

a) Vote-share is >6% in 4 states.. and 

obviously it conforms; b) num of seats in LS= 11 i.e, >4]

N.B.- 1. In order to simplify things if answered in Hindi or meme-ic language, tab bhi chalega.

2. I am absolutely new to CSE. Pls overlook any glitches/ silliness in queries.

1. Hedging means doing something to reduce risks. Currency Hedging means reducing risk of changes in value of currency (in relation to other Currencies)

2. India keeps some crude oil for emergencies (Ex, war in Gulf supplier countries). So, it would have to keep enough Crude Oil to last 90 days, without any new supply, if it joins IEA

3. Poll Panel = Election Commission

4. Vote share in each of the 4 states SEPARATELY should be >6%

These are very basic terms. Watch Daily Current Affairs videos (Ex, StudyIQ) for some days to gain familiarity. 

Hey, everyone! I made this account using a Temporary Phone No, from some site I don't remember, to safeguard my Privacy. I believe in Free Access to Resources. So, if you see any posts from this account Selling anything or trying to scam, they wouldn't be from me. Someone would have gained unauthorized access to this account. Best recourse to prevent such a thing would be to delete the account, but Forum doesn't provide that option.
Wima_Kadaphis,
4.7k views

@sjerngal which test series did you join for your optional? If possible give a review

thanks in advance

4.2k views
Anybody looking for Vision mains test series 2022. 30 tests?
4.1k views

@sjerngal  @Pam123 @AzadHindFauz @TheFinalStand @CSLWARRIOR @Arsene @Bubba_gump @Apollo11 @impatientoptimist  @whatif1997 @Newton981 (AIR 107)

hey everyone !

2023 will  be my first attempt. My doubt is regarding newspaper and its note making. 

i dont have any problem in reading the newspaper as per the syllabus

what i struggle with is -

1. how should i document the important news from daily newspaper so that i can use it in my mains answers in future (when I'll write them after reading my basics)

2. if I'll practice this daily note making , how should i revise them?

3. how to get this understanding that - if there is 'X' news/ data then where all places  it can be used in  mains answers.

4. any news channel you guys have followed.

3.9k views

@sjerngal  @Pam123 @AzadHindFauz @TheFinalStand @CSLWARRIOR @Arsene @Bubba_gump @Apollo11 @impatientoptimist  @whatif1997 @Newton981 (AIR 107)

hey everyone !

2023 will  be my first attempt. My doubt is regarding newspaper and its note making. 

1. how should i document the important news from daily newspaper so that i can use it in my mains answers in future (when I'll write them after reading my basics)

3. how to get this understanding that - if there is 'X' news/ data then where all places  it can be used in  mains answers.

1. I tried making notes initially but left it in between, low ROI. I just diligently read daily newspaper. If possible compliment it with daily answer writing from Insights Secure Initiative (Free)

2. I don't think there is a need to revise. I did PT 365 of Vision before pre though I don't think anything came from it as questions are too random. 

Give open mock test both full and CA of multiple coachings, it will cover ur important CA, rest u can skip

3. This u will get with answer writing, try IAS Baba TLP or Forum IAS MGP program or Insights Secure, you will come to know

4. I did not follow any, but I have seen a few videos of Byjus and I found it good. 

Lucifer16,
3.9k views

@sjerngal which test series did you join for your optional? If possible give a review

thanks in advance

Join her telegram channel, u will get to know everything. 

She has shared everything. ( test copies etc) 

3.4k views

DMsaid

thanks in advance

thank you 

3.6k views

DMsaid

thanks in advance

name of the channel? 

3.6k views

DMsaid

thanks in advance

name of the channel? 

Her name only. 

3.3k views

Queries on news of 25.6.22

1. Under PMAY-U, Housing shortage is decidedbased ondemand assessmentby
States UTs. What does demand assessment mean?

2. C-DOT isaregistered societyunder Societies Registration Act, 1860. What does the act talk about and 'society' mean here?

3. What is 'air shed' in the context of air pollution? What are functional differences of CAQuM and NARFI [Commission for Air Quality Management and National Air-quality Resource Framework of India] (in one line)?

No judging. Thanks in adv.

3.4k views

Hello seniors. So this was my first attempt and i have been preparing from home through online mode (online foundation course and online test series) however i have failed to clear prelims (estimated marks 88 to 90). Can anyone suggest should i shift to Delhi and write offline tests (to get the "mahaul") or should I stick to my early way of preparing at home??

Please suggest

3.3k views

hey everyone !

1. I tried making notes initially but left it in between, low ROI. I just diligently read daily newspaper. If possible compliment it with daily answer writing from Insights Secure Initiative (Free)

2. I don't think there is a need to revise. I did PT 365 of Vision before pre though I don't think anything came from it as questions are too random. 

Give open mock test both full and CA of multiple coachings, it will cover ur important CA, rest u can skip

3. This u will get with answer writing, try IAS Baba TLP or Forum IAS MGP program or Insights Secure, you will come to know

4. I did not follow any, but I have seen a few videos of Byjus and I found it good. 

thank you so much sir. 

3.3k views
Can someone kindly tell about how are the concept classes in MGP++ ? IS IT WORTH JOINING?

3k views

I have a question: pessimistic or realistic, depending on how you view it:

Should we work on a backup or go all in with the preparation? I know this is different for different people, but I still want to gauge what most aspirants seem to think of this. It's a tough choice because any time commitment to any other opportunity effectively seeps away from the prep itself, and yet the opportunity costs seem to loom bigger the deeper you go into the prep.   

JohnButlerTrain,
3.2k views

“Plan B is for loosers”
”esa me pehle kaha karta tha”

-Sandeep bhaiya
Homo Neanderthalensis ,Caffeinityand1 otherslike this
3.1k views

Imomfsaid

Can someone kindly tell about how are the concept classes in MGP++ ? IS IT WORTH JOINING?

+1

2.6k views
@Imomf +1
No clue. I also thought of joining but no info is available.

2.6k views
@Rick_C137 You said it yourself, it will vary from person to person. But, in general, the usual discourse among people is to have backup plans.
I however do not agree to this mentality for the simple reason that to succeed here in UPSC, I need to go beyond my limits to unimaginable extent. Personally for me, backup plan makes me lazy, uncommitted to my original plan. Some people work better with even 4-4 backup plans. 
So, listen to your inner voice and judge your outside actions. If a backup plan reduces stress, go for it. If it makes you lazy towards UPSC even 1%, then drop it. It is a very very tough thing to do, but only you know the answer to it. You will find examples from both sides, but you will slightly tilt in one way or other. That's your intuition telling you something you don't yet know, so I would suggest you follow it. Good luck!! 
Here something for you- https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/i-never-had-plan-b/article3384969.ece
D503,Rick_C137and1 otherslike this
2.5k views

I have a question: pessimistic or realistic, depending on how you view it:

Should we work on a backup or go all in with the preparation? I know this is different for different people, but I still want to gauge what most aspirants seem to think of this. It's a tough choice because any time commitment to any other opportunity effectively seeps away from the prep itself, and yet the opportunity costs seem to loom bigger the deeper you go into the prep.   

Back-up plan must be taken after 3-4 attempts, before that i don't think so, it is necessary. 

There is a very good article written by neyawn sir. Read it, for clarity. 

DM,heisenberg_and1 otherslike this
2.4k views
Write your comment…