Subscribe to ForumIAS

Thread to Clarify Doubts, Seek Guidance from 2021 Batch Civil Servants

Hi, everyone! Starting this thread, so we can all seek specific guidance from, clarify our doubts from friends who successfully cleared CSE 2021. Please feel free to ask any and all questions, however trivial, so we can collectively benefit.

It's opportune time for this, as with Pre 2022 ending in a few hours, friends giving Pre this year can also benefit from their Post-Pre Preparation Experience.

Tagging 

@sjerngal  @Pam123 @AzadHindFauz @TheFinalStand @CSLWARRIOR @Arsene @Bubba_gump @Apollo11 @impatientoptimist  @whatif1997, and requesting them to enlighten us plebs on tricks & trickeries of preparation.

Edit: Adding@Newton981 (AIR 107)

curious_kid,DMand25 otherslike this
132.6k views

248 comments

@Newton981 how to use insights secure? Do you follow their schedule or just randomly write answer? 

It is an year long exercise, if u can follow then very good. I followed it for 2-3 months before prelims in 2021 attempt. 

If you are doing post prelims then IAS Baba TLP is more concentrated on this years mains in 3 months period

5.4k views

Did you use Insights, etc daily? Did it help? Is newspaper + DIPIN SIR'S classes+ good revision of vision monthly sufficient in tackling PRELIMS? IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT'S *CRUCIAL*?

Secondly, your opinion on making diagrams in GS 2, 3. Saumya Sharma didn't draw any, scored 496 in GS CSE 17...is putting in extra effort necessary? Also, fill all pages or stick to word limit? 

5.2k views

Please πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™  clarify these doubts:

1.FOR Art and Culture, what helps in answering/guessing: Singhania/CCRT/NIOS/VAJI BOOK if one has read TN, FINE ARTS NCERT, OLD NCERT

2. BEST ROI Source for Agriculture and Environment 

3. S&T from where? Vision monthly sufficient? TH's Sunday S&T, IE explained helpful?

For Mains,

1. MGP+Dipin Sir's classes enough or should static part needs to be done from any coaching material like VAM, ONLY IAS?

5k views
@nmr7324 Do have a look at Only IAS Prahaar for such topics like SHG. Vision is huge & has lesser dimensions. I think you can get better pointers from Only IAS or I guess Saurabh Sir's pdf (Telegram channel - saurabhpolity) . Have a look at them too & then Chose whatever suits you 

4.7k views
Dear seniors how to utilise value added material for mains..i feel like there is so much of information overloas in those hundreds of pages..how to segregrate the info mains topic wise ? Also if i had made static 4-5page notes on subtopics of mains syllabus and if i update them with current topics/report suggestions do i still need to utilise vam's or referring to dipin sir/mains 365 would be enough? Your guidance will help me a lot .Thankyou
JohnButlerTrain,
4.6k views
Anyone with geology optional..?? Please help. I am from non geology background.. have joined planet geology’s online classes. I need help with answer writing and PYQs of geology optional.

It is and was my optional for forest service..what do you want to know

4.3k views

Hello Y'all . Congrats . 

What would you suggest to  a non engineer for CSAT [ medico here ] . It was/ is always been my achilles heel . I have  had face time crunch in CSAt PAPER. how to increase the speed ? . Any book or guide that would be of much helpful to pity souls like us ? like how to decipher a question , how to choose variables [ I m that stupid ] . Please consider answering my question in the difficulty level of CSAT 2-3 years . Please even consider a CAT book if thats the last resort to undersTand the concepts . R S Agarwal is no use here [ my opinion ] . 

Hope someone emphathize and reply .  

MichaelScarn,Morticia
4.2k views

Hello Y'all . Congrats . 

What would you suggest to  a non engineer for CSAT [ medico here ] . It was/ is always been my achilles heel . I have  had face time crunch in CSAt PAPER. how to increase the speed ? . Any book or guide that would be of much helpful to pity souls like us ? like how to decipher a question , how to choose variables [ I m that stupid ] . Please consider answering my question in the difficulty level of CSAT 2-3 years . Please even consider a CAT book if thats the last resort to undersTand the concepts . R S Agarwal is no use here [ my opinion ] . 

Hope someone emphathize and reply .  

What I am going to suggest may sound petty, even silly maybe. But what you are facing looks like a complete washing of basic concepts. Since you have the time, you would benefit if you start afresh. Buy Maths NCERTs from 7th standard to 10th standard and solve the solved examples chapter by chapter. You would need 1 week per standard with 1 hour per day max. Once these are done, you would feel you are in the grove now. This is the weekend to take a CSAT mock and see for yourself. Maths is more memory than we think when it comes to the kind that comes in CSAT. As for Verbal, you are already reading so much so all you need is to solve PYQ and train your mind on the kind of questions asked, so your time is not wasted in deciphering the question itself. Obviously, others may differ vastly from what I said. Try the NCERTs thing, we really underestimate them. If you feel they helped, then do unsolved exercises as well to further your speed. 

dalpha,Raillifeand3 otherslike this
4.9k views
@LuckyKat Thank you so much . Nothing is petty for me after all . Why Not try NCERTS ? Whats harm in trying . Definitely 'll do . 
In this year CSAT , I did 20 quants + reasoning in 1 1/2 hour[ 15 correct ]  and read all the passages in remaining time , although havent attempted everything But my comprehending ability is way more different than answer keys .  cost me heavily . What do you suggest for comprehension ??

4k views

Hello seniors and gurus. Namaste! 

I Need advice on how to prepare essay paper.

last year I scored 113 in essay. I probably messed my 1st essay (failed to satisfy the core demand of that essay).

I think I still lack the art of writing philosophical essay. What shall I do? Shall I join any course to understand the art of writing essay, or just practice on my own?

would it be wise to join any class considering the limited time we have for mains preparation.

Mera Margdarshan kijie keshav!! 

JohnButlerTrain,
3.9k views
@lawlietkira Get the last 5 years papers. Solve all the Comprehension first by yourself and cross check with how UPSC is marking the keys. Now, begin solving all the maths, reasoning section in them(take help of a book/video) DO THIS FIRST and go to any other resource later. Helped me clear CSAT 4 times. 

lawlietkira,tryingtryingtrying
3.6k views

Do basics from any standard book or notes. I did from Lukmaan Ias notes. 

Rest follow it up with a test series, I took ForumIAS MGP. Ultimately it is answer writing skill and its a lengthy paper, so write as many questions and get it reviewed/ or do self-review.

Insights Ethics 75 day challenge is also good.

BattingBaba,Ummedwar
3.8k views
@palindrome7 pakka. Thank you . 

3.6k views
@LuckyKat Thank you so much . Nothing is petty for me after all . Why Not try NCERTS ? Whats harm in trying . Definitely 'll do . 
In this year CSAT , I did 20 quants + reasoning in 1 1/2 hour[ 15 correct ]  and read all the passages in remaining time , although havent attempted everything But my comprehending ability is way more different than answer keys .  cost me heavily . What do you suggest for comprehension ??

For comprehension, what@palindrome7 said. If you need video classes for CSAT as@palindrome7 recommended, DM me and I will be able to share a few.

3.1k views
@GaneshGaitonde thank you! I found only Ethics and post modern latest ones..rest are all last mains, some parts can be used still...hopefully new ones will come out soon

3.2k views
To all the PSIR optional seniors, can anyone recommend a test series, or give some guidance on how to self evaluate?
2.9k views
To all the PSIR optional seniors, can anyone recommend a test series, or give some guidance on how to self evaluate?

+1

2.9k views

Guys,

I am in deep trouble! Cleared prelims but I have not prepared optional (anthropology) one bit except for gathering relevant study material and researching on how & what to study.

Though I understand things quickly, I just cannot bring myself to believe that it is even remotely possible to get to a competitive level in the next 2.5 months, starting from scratch. 

Any help, words of wisdom, anything at this point?

2.8k views

1. What is currency hedging?

2. "If India accepts IEA's full time membership, she has toraise strategic oil reserves to 90 days requirement." Please explain what it (the underlined phrase) means.

3. "Poll panelhas also been seeking modification to form 24A to mandate disclosure of donations above Rs. 2000, instead of Rs. 20000." Please explain (underlined phrase).

4. An example:

BJD party secures a large chunk of vote share in Odisha and wins 12/21 LS seats in the last election. Can it be called a national recognized party?

[It secures >6% vote-share if I include smaller states (like Manipur,, Goa, Sikkim) to make up the condition

a) Vote-share is >6% in 4 states.. and 

obviously it conforms; b) num of seats in LS= 11 i.e, >4]

N.B.- 1. In order to simplify things if answered in Hindi or meme-ic language, tab bhi chalega.

2. I am absolutely new to CSE. Pls overlook any glitches/ silliness in queries.
2.6k views
Write your comment…